PEG solutions contain fragments of all sizes - it is the average size
(however defined by the manufacturer) that is 1000.  So technically it
is incorrect to claim that you have PEG1000 molecules bound to your
protein, it is most likely much shorter fragments that can penetrate the
channels in protein crystals.

It's not a lot of work to generate monomer libraries for peg fragments
of different length (and some are available from standard monomer
libs).

I always wondered why PEG is not defined in the standard libraries as a
polymer - perhaps because it is rarely needed.  Or is it?

Ed.

--
"I'd jump in myself, if I weren't so good at whistling."
                               Julian, King of Lemurs