That's a good point, Ed

Based on the formula: HO CH2-(CH2-O-CH2)n-CH2OH, PEG MW = 44n+62, a table of n
to MW goes like below which gives an idea of what range is possible. Someone
maybe knows what polydispersity can be expected from the synthetic process. As
you say though, a specific range could partition out of the bulk to the protein
surface. And the main point of the original post was that only a subset of
atoms in the bound PEG may be ordered enough to see.
 n   MW
 5, 282.
 6, 326.
 7, 370.