You can also try to crosslink before transferring to cryo.

________________________________
From: Filip Van Petegem <filip.vanpete...@gmail.com>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Wed Oct 26 13:19:16 2011
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] cryo protection

Hello Leonard,

one thing to test is whether transferring your crystals to a drop containing
simply well solution also causes cracking. If yes, then the possibility exists
that the absence of protein in solution is causing the trouble. In that case,
you can transfer the crystals to oil:  you'll be transferring the solution
(with protein) in which the crystal grew as well, and slowly remove it without
adding anything 'different'.  However, if your crystals crack simply because
they are mechanically fragile, then the oil may actually be worse.

Filip

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Leonard Thomas