A nice review of "cryosalts" is available here:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444900007587

For crystals that "don't seem to survive paratone-N", I recommend using a microscope equipped with a polarizer. The refractive index of paratone-N is much closer to that of protein crystals than that of water, so one can easily be fooled into thinking the crystal "dissolved" when what you are actually seeing is the "disappearing pyrex effect":
https://sites.google.com/site/rooseveltphysics/pyrexandveggieoil.jpg
A nice example of the "disappearing crystal" due to refractive index matching is also apparent in figure 1d of:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0021889809023553
Sadly, I think many crystallographers have abandoned my favorite oil because they didn't know there crystal was actually still intact and happy!

As for salt crystals growing while you are trying to harvest: yes, this is annoying. This is why I usually bury my drops in paratone-N oil immediately after opening them. It slows down evaporation tremendously. If you don't like working through oil, then you must either work very quickly or find a way to humidify the atmosphere around your drop after you open it. You can spend an arbitrary amount of money on "wet air machines" these days, but if you happen to know what your reservoir contains (you should), and you don't mind making up a liter or two of it, then all you need to do is bubble air or N2 through a big vat of your "reservoir solution" and then direct that bubbled-off gas through a pipe at your drop. I imagine this would be a great way to deal with alcohol-based conditions as well (provided you had adequate ventilation).

-James Holton
MAD Scientist