Juan,

Humidity variation is what vapour diffusion crystallization achieves.
In your list of all possible dehydration methods you would end up classifying all vapour diffusion experiments as a case of dehydration. After nucleation, crystals continue to grow and the drop continues to become more concentrated in precipitant.
I agree you are completely right!

The concept of crystal hydration is very complicated:
Crystals are grown in liquid water and often analysed in vitrified water with a solvent-hydrogen bond network that is different from that in the liquid state.
What does this mean in terms of hydration?
The use of cryo-protectant alter the solvent hydrogen bonding pattern. What does this mean in terms of hydration? VM, the Matthews coefficient, defined as the crystal volume per unit of protein molecular weight is a a measure of hydration?
So if the VM is the same the hydration is the same?

I agree that all the methods that you mention will affect hydration of the crystals, but the way that X-ray crystallography is carried out today
cannot avoid it.

"Crystal dehydration" must be defined as an explicit effort to use methodology designed to alter the hydration of crystals, preferably using a defined measured and controlled relative humidity value. As you start to consider badly defined systems, you will also have badly defined hydration.

Enrico.