I think one may need to distinguish between three different kinds of dehydration experiment, because of the different forces they will exert on a crystal to shrink the unit cell, creating new stabilizing crystal contacts or perhaps causing contacts to fail in a chaotic manner, disordering the crystal:
1. dehydration while bathed with copious solution, by increasing concentration
of glycerol or other small solute.
2. same, but the dehydrating solute is too large to enter (some) solvent channels. Large PEG molecules may do this(?). But PEG is often seen in crystal structures. 3. The crystal is fished out of solution before dehydration, with a thin layer of solution adhering to the surface. This is what is done with the FMS and I suppose other humidity-controlling systems, or more cheaply by fishing the crystal in a cryocap with a short pin and storing it screwed into an upright cryovial with 100 ul or so of defined humectant solution in the bottom.

#1 would exert no direct forces on the crystal, but internal surfaces might come together to exclude water, which might lead to shrinkage.

#2 could exert osmotic force, as water diffuses out of the crystal to the bulk solvent resulting in lower hydrostatic pressure in the solvent channels. Pressure on the surface of the crystal could then cause shrinkage.

in #3, dehydration can reduce the volume of solution to the point where it is insufficient to fill the solvent channels. If surface tension prevents air from entering the crystals, atmospheric pressure on the surface of the crystal will promote shrinkage.

I think in some cases "annealing" actually works by dehydration #3. We reported such a case in JMB 351, 573-597 (buried in Methods at the end of the paper, and disc p579). We have diffraction images before and after annealing, and not only the resolution improved dramatically but the cell volume decreased by 18%. And the structure showed a new crystal contact was formed. We're pretty sure this is dehydration because of the volume change and because a similar effect on diffraction and cell param could be obtained (with the same batch of crystals or a few other batches, in other cases something else was limiting and the improvement was not so significant) by simply holding the crystal in the air for 60-90 sec before plunging in LN2.

It seems odd that annealing would cause dehydration- you would expect massive condensation on the crystal as it thaws - but I think the heat capacity of the crystal and the amount of ice (if any) to be melted is so small that it reaches room temp before much condensation occurs. Then the down-draft caused by the cold copper pin (sitting vertical with crystal upward) drew enough warm dry air over it to dehydrate.

Juan Sanchez-Weatherby wrote:
Dear all,

 From Leonid's reply earlier you can see a problem some of us have been having
for a while now, when looking for literature regarding dehydration. Most of you
that perform dehydration either don't consider it happening or don't report it
in great detail in your publications. This is only understandable because it
isn't the focus of your work and it only helps you get to where you want to get
to.

I'm trying to get an up to date picture of what is out there but I haven't got
the time or eyes to go through everyone's methods to pick the couple of lines
that describe your particular method. I really want to find out what is being
done to be able to give people better advice.

So: Could people out there that think that in their particular projects
dehydration/hydration had an effect send me a ref. or a short description? (can
be done outside the BB to not spam everyone) I will duly acknowledge everyone!!

By dehydration I mean:

1 Soaking with increasing concentration of precipitants or salts
2 By equilibrating against a new precipitant or salt (by vapour diffusion or
dialysis)
3 By letting the drops dry (controlled or uncontrolled)
4 by using an FMS/HC1/MicroRT or any other gadget
5 By some other magical trick you may have

Thank you all for your help,

Regards

Juan

====================================