I believe that the reason all organisms share the convention (more or
less) is that it dates back to LUCA - the Last Universal Common Ancestor of
all extant life. LUCA must have had the basic transcription and translation
machinery that we now see somewhat divergently-evolved versions of in all
cells. This does not answer why that particular convention was "chosen",
but it does count against the idea that it is the best possible system, or
indeed should continue to be selected for (except that mutations to this
machinery tend to be very much deleterious).

-- David