On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:44 PM, eugene.krissi...@stfc.ac.uk wrote:

> What, I'm afraid, people rarely realise these days, is that their desktops
> are, essentially, GUIs to various OS features, so they obviously use GUI more
> frequently than they think :) After all, this is all matter of habits and
> training, and the reality is that people get more and more GUI-oriented these
> days, like it or not. Whether to fight the reality or try to use it for
> benefit is, certainly, every developer's own choice. I still remember payroll
> officers saying that hand calculators (and even their predecessors) were much
> more convenient and robust than modern software, but do not hear this for
> some 15 years already ...
>
> Eugene

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with a GUI. The problem, for those who
like to take advantage of automation, is that a GUI is a bottleneck if it can't
be automated in some way. In my opinion, the best automation is based on an API
(in my favorite scripting language, of course).

The original unix tools were built with automation in mind, using pipes,
redirects, and file I/O to control the flow of information. This automation
wasn't designed because the architects couldn't conceive of a GUI, but because
it was and is efficient.

A utility can easily lock a user into a GUI. The usual cruel method is by
spawning a dialog box the forces the user to acknowledge whatever triviality
the program is trying to communicate (instead of sending the information to a
log file where it belongs). If a program locks the user into a GUI, by whatever
means, then the program can't be automated. And if it can't be automated it
becomes a source of inefficiency. I think this is James Holton's point.

Most of CCP4 can be automated by using the utilities from the command line,
taking advantage of pipes, redirects, and file I/O as envisioned by the unix
architects. CCP4 can also be run via a GUI, which I take advantage of in
certain situations. It's a great model for user interaction. Long may it live
(and may modal dialog boxes die a horrible and quick death).

James