Thank you Pavel for the clarification!

What I was really trying to point out is that a "missing atom", occ=0.00 and occ=0.01 are not as similar as one might naiively think. Also, if you put a ligand into a pocket and the occupancy refines to > 0, that does not necessarily mean the ligand is "partially occupied". If the pocket is actually filled with flat bulk solvent, then you expect the ligand occupancy to be non-zero, simply because something is better than nothing. However, if the bulk solvent mask were somehow "smarter" and filled the pocket of a, say, 60% occupied ligand with flat bulk density at 40% the level of bulk density used far away from any atoms, then one might actually see the occupancy of a bogus ligand refine to zero. That is, a ligand built into a pocket that is truly "empty" (filled with flat bulk solvent) and then occupancy refined would actually be a "competition" between two alternative hypotheses: 1) ligand in the pocket, 2) nothing but solvent in the pocket. If the occupancy of the ligand refines to zero in this context, then you can be quite confident that it didn't bind, at least not in the given orientation.

I fully realize that the implementation of this is easier said than done, but perhaps it would be worth the effort?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist