Avisek,

Besides the advice that Bernhard and Remy have given you, beware of strange
packing arrangements with low symmetry space groups and higher order oligomers.
 We have had several cases in P21 and C2 where tetramers pack with 6 or 8
molecules in the asymmetric unit (ASU), but could not be solved by MR using a
tetramer model.  Why? The true packing element was a dimer portion of the
tetramer.  Hence, the ASU with 6 monomers contained a tetramer and a half; the
full unit cell then contained 3 tetramers, with the 2-fold axis of one tetramer
sitting on a crystallographic axis.  Likewise, the ASU with 2 monomers
contained 1 tetramer and 2 "half" tetramers;  the full unit cell then contained
2 tetramers, with the 2-fold axes of 2 tetramers sitting on a crystallographic
axis.

In each case, using the tetramer as a probe failed, but monomers and the
appropriate dimers worked. The take-home message is don't get fixated on the
tetramer as the only possible MR probe.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com