Dear all,

[just to add some caveats in case future students see this thread and
start cut-n-pasting commands to successfully create some kind of MTZ
file of dubious content]

Unless we're talking about some really old datasets (of historical
interest) or a disastrous situation (all backups lost), by far the
best approach would be to go back to the original data in the form of
the (unscaled) unmerged intensities - in order to do the
scaling+merging of the two datasets then, right?

One can do all kind of things with amplitudes (F) in MTZ files using
various fabulous CCP4 programs (SFTOOLS, SCALEIT, RSTATS, CAD,
POINTLESS, COMBAT), but be careful that it is not just some
simple/brainless arithmetic on numerical values that happen to be
called F/SIGF. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt ...

The important thing is to understand what the OP is trying to achive
here. As others mentioned:

  ... calculate R-merge for Fs from two datasets processed from two
  different crystals ...

sounds to like a confusion between

 (1) comparing two sets of amplitudes via an R-factor (not R-merge!)

     * can be done with e.g. SCALEIT or RSTATS

     * with or without scaling?

     * what scale parametrisation (k, k/B, anisotropic)?

     * overall or in bins? What binning?

 (2) getting a "R-merge" value for some kind of "Table-1" (paper or
     deposition):

     * can't be done "correctly" from amplitudes

And

  ... would take two mtz files and merge the Fs ...

might just ask for a method to "average" two sets of amplitudes:

  * inverse-variance weighted?

  * unweighted?

  * for what purpose - and why not go back to the original data to do
    proper scaling/merging there?

The subject line "Comparing two datasets" seems to ask for something
different again: a way of comparing (R-factor? CC?) datasets, not
necessarily combining/merging them?

Cheers

Clemens