On 2017-Aug-21, at 8:46 AM, Dominique Carlier via cctalk wrote:

>> As is typical for power supplies of this type and era, this power supply
>> includes current limiting circuitry.
>>
>> The current-limiting circuitry will throttle down the output voltage (not
>> shut it off completely) as the output current draw goes above a design limit.
>> This would appear to fit the symptoms you describe.
>>
>> The current-limiting circuitry works by placing a small-value resistor in
>> the current path after the main regulator transistor(s) (aka pass
>> transistors) but prior to the voltage-regulation sense point.
>> A transistor senses the voltage across this R.
>> As the output current increases, the voltage across the current-sense R
>> increases, at some point the transistor starts to turn on, and the
>> transistor is connected in such a way that as it turns on it reduces the
>> drive to the pass transistors, throttling down the output voltage.
>>
>> Arbitrarily using the "A2" heatsink half of the two +5 supplies in this
>> power supply for component references, the current-sense R is comprised of a
>> series-parallel circuit formed by the BE junctions of the 2 pass transistors
>> (A2.Q1, A2.Q2), the two 0.1ohm Rs on the emitters of the pass transistors
>> (A3.R10,A3.R11), the 47ohm Rs between B&E of those transistors, A3.R23,
>> A3A1A1.R8, 376.R9, along with additional influence by 376.R8 and A3A1A1.R10.
>> The current sense transistor is inside the LM376 (see internal schematic),
>> 376.Q16 between pins 1 & 8, controlling the 1st-stage driver transistor
>> 376.Q14.
>>
>> There are various things that could go wrong on this circuitry.
>> Anything that upsets the current-sense resistance network to cause the net R
>> to increase will lower the output current that can be drawn (that is, the
>> current limiting circuitry will start kicking in too 'early').
>>
>> A likely scenario is one of the pass transistors has failed open.
>> This would take out a parallel leg of the current-sense resistance.
>> All current would  be forced through the good pass transistor and it's
>> emitter resistor, raising the current-sense voltage for a given output
>> current.
>> The current-limiting circuitry would kick in at a lower current than the
>> design intention.
>> This is beneficial inasmuch as it would work to save the good pass
>> transistor.
>>
>> The 0.1 ohm 9W emitter resistors are critical, although they're probably
>> wirewound and fairly reliable unless quite overstressed.
>> One of these resistors being open would result in the same operation as an
>> open pass transistor.
>> You'll have difficulty measuring them with accuracy but you could do some
>> sanity checks for continuity around both the pass transistor circuit legs,
>> as well as checking the pass transistor BC/BE junctions.
>>
>> (In principle, the 'proper' thing to do in this area is look at what the
>> current-sense voltage is doing, but that requires knowing what the target V
> [...]

I'm not acquainted with Power Physics as a transistor manufacturer, they seem a
little odd in that I believe most of the smaller transistor manufacturers had
faded away by the 1970s compared to the early 60s.
The 7540 is (far more likely) date code however (40th week of 1975).
I expect you can trust the 2N6254 on the schematic.

As per Anders comment, you're not going to get reliable sub-ohm readings with a
common DMM.
Another way to test a small-ohm R is to put it in series with another R, say
around 5 ohms, apply V from a bench supply, measure I's and/or V's and apply
Ohm's Law.
Or, for example, put all four 0.1 Rs in series, drop a volt or less across the
bunch and measure the V across each R. The voltage should be evenly distributed
across the four.
But no, I don't expect they're the problem.

The 47Ω Rs are 5% tolerance, 50Ω is fine.

The 0.44 does look anomalous compared to the three 0.52s (as long as there is
no in-circuit effect distinguishing those readings).
If one transistor has a leaky BE junction and it's hfe (gain) has dropped it
would be upsetting the regulator abilities.

I see the schematic specs 12A @ 5V for each regulator.
That puts ~  6A through each pass transistor and each 0.1 Ω R if things are
balanced, and 0.6V across the 0.1Ω Rs at full load.
I recall you may have said you don't have access in operation, but measuring
the voltages across those 0.1Rs could be informative, for both the V level and
imbalance between the legs.