> An update to this.
>
> I picked up the Alphaserver today, powered up fine.  I reset the system
> password so I could log in.
>
> It is running OpenVMS 7.1 and has 7 disks in the Storageworks box.
>
> When I log in only the boot disk shows up from the $ show dev command.
> Nothing else, no CD, no tape which are all there.
>
> On powerup it shows:
>
> bus 2 slot 0 pka Qlogic ISP10x0
> bus 2 slot 1 ewa DecChip 21040-AA
> bus 2 slot 2 pua DEC KFPSA
> bus 0 slot 11 dra Mylex DAC960
> bus 0 slot 12 drb Mylex DAC960
> bus 3 slot 0 pkb Qlogic ISP10x0

You’ve got a KZP*A, DE500, DSSI, pair of KZPAC (probably) and another KZP*A

> I think 4 of the storageworks disks are in a Raid in the storageworks (DRB).
> The DRA raid must have been external since on startup it spends time waiting
> for it and finally gives up.

I’d pull whichever KZPAC isn’t connected to anything any more along with the
KFPSA which will speed up INIT if nothing else.

> In console mode:

> DKA400 RRD45
> DKB400 RZ28
> DKB500 RZ29
> DKB600 RZ29
> DRA0 4 member RAID 5
> DRA1 1 member JBOD
> DRB0 4 member RAID 5
> DVA0
> MKA500 TLZ07
> EWA0    mac address
> PKA0 SCSI bus
> PKB0 SCSI bus
> PIA0 DSSI Bus ID 3

The first KZP*A has the CDROM and tape drive so that’s probably a KZPAA (Qlogic
QLA1040), the internal disk shelf must be split bus if you’ve got 7 drives in
there, 3 on the 2nd KZPAA (or BA) and 4 on the KZPAC.

> My desire is to setup this machine and use it, however, I don't want to undo
> things I can't put back together again.  Any thoughts or advice?

See above :) Take out boards that aren’t connected to anything. I assume you’re
doing a MINIMUM boot which would explain the lack of devices when you log in?

Pictures may help too.

Cheers,

—
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs - Celebrating Computing History from 1972 onwards
w: binarydinosaurs.co.uk t: @binarydinosaurs
f: facebook.com/binarydinosaurs