On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 12:23 PM John-Paul Stewart via cctalk <
cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 1/25/23 11:53, Steve Lewis via cctalk wrote:
> >
> > And back on the stenography-keyboard like thing -- what about morphing
> > keys?  If a keyboard had actual screens on the keys, and the keys change
> > (the actual symbol) based on the context of whatever you're doing.  I
> know
> > we have macros and reprogrammable keyboards, but morphing the actual
> symbol
> > on the keys might be neat.
>
> A keyboard using small 48x48 pixel OLED screens on each of the keys has
> been done.  It was many years ago and they were super expensive at the
> time.  As a result they were not commercially successful.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Maximus_keyboard

I remember these.  Very cool.

But Steve's original query reminded me of videos I came across a few days
ago of the (very rare) Con Brio Synthesizer, which has a panel with a
myriad of buttons that light up/go dark depending on the context of the
mode, facilitating the operator in highlighting only those buttons
applicable in the current mode.  Here's a video that explains its operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tr9FUGlr0

I had a hand in restoring that synth.

Sellam