My personal experience of graphical programming environments (scratch,
matlab, PLCs,  Max/MSP - though all in quite trivial amounts) is that
they're dreadful. Painfully slow to use and clumsy compared with  straight
C. There are too many possible variants of what you might want to do, so
every simple for-loop block gains a heap of optional parameters which
destroys the point.

One contrary example is node-red, used to design data flows and also for
teensy's audio programming environment. When the main idea is flow and each
block's parameters are either obvious (like filter cut-off frequency) or
inherent in the connections (the lists of parameters that describe where
the data is flowing rom and to) then they can be a help. I'd recommend
playing with the Teensy audio system (you don't need to pay for it) to see
what you think.