<cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > There is ample evidence of people doing personal computing before the
> > microprocessor was invented.  There was a whole terminal/time sharing
> > scene in the late 60s, plus people who did personal computung by using
> > the machine at a school, work, or library.  There were also people
> > whonowned surplussed minicomputers who used them at home.  I think you
> > should consider mentioning this somehow.
> >
> > Really, your video is about personal computers with a microprocessor
> > installed.
> >
> > A person from the 70s would not look at computing the same as we do
today.
> > The larger consumer of "home computers" were doing engineering type
> > work, not so much playing games.  Even the apple/tandy/commodore users.
>
> Conversely, computer games predates home computers by a decade or so; the
> PLATO system is a major source of early games, documented in several
places.

Computer Games are almost as old as (Turing Complete) Computers. Alan Turing
insisted that the Manchester/Ferranti MK1 had a Random Number generator.
Christopher Strachey wrote a tic-tac-toe (noughts and crosses to the
English) program which displayed its output in patterns on the MK1 screen.
In 1951 he wrote a checkers/draughts program for the Mk1.
He also wrote the "love letters" program.....
.. Turing was thinking about Chess but he couldn't fit it in the MK1....

>       paul

Dave