Dear All,

The intention of this discussion was to decide on a list of items for a drop-down list of predefined terms that would be available when choosing 'key words' for a new model and which would be the list of terms used to display models on www.cellml.org/models (together with the default 'All models' item). The idea was that choosing one or more of these key words terms would be mandatory when defining model metadata but that one could also enter additional keywords for more advanced searching. It may be that the additional key words should adhere to terms from an ontology as Matt suggests and should use the predictive completion facility that Andre suggests. But I am keen to keep this first list of terms fairly short. My suggestion is the following list. I've checked through the repository and less than 10% of the models would end up solely under 'Other'. I am sure we will need to expand this list as the repository grows and I suggest we have a policy of keeping the number that end up solely in the 'Other' category to less than 10% of the total. We may also later need a policy to refine the classification when too many models are displayed under one term.

Calcium dynamics
Cell cycle
Cell migration
Circadian rhythms
Electrophysiology
Excitation-contraction coupling
Gene regulation
Mechanical constitutive laws
Metabolism
Myofilament mechanics
Signal transduction
Other (the default key word in the list of predefined terms)

Let me know if you can think of other more appropriate terms or additional ones, then I'll ask Tommy to implement it. I'm happy to then go through and classify all current models in the repository into these categories.

Cheers,
Peter

David Nickerson wrote:
One thing I have found useful in other taxonomy/keyword type web
interfaces (e.g., see drupal) is that when entering such keywords the
interface dynamically completes the terms and/or presents alternatives
based on what the user enters. I'd imagine such an interface would work
well at pulling terms out of the ontologies Matt is talking about.

David.

Tommy Yu wrote:

Just had a discussion with Peter, Randall and James about this.

The keywords are in the metadata for the models, and there is no limit to what can go in there.  The concern about that is the list could get too big (for minor categories), or variations in the name (electrophysiology vs electrophysiological), or just spelling in general.  What was decided is to have the same category list, but it would act as a "blessed" list of keywords that will serve as a guide to what should be added to the model, and as a broad category filter for the main repository listing.  Users would still be able to add or search by other keywords (from the advance search interface) if they wish.

Tommy.