David Nickerson wrote:
>> The problem that lead to this thread of discussion is that there is no
>> well-defined project team, and I don't think that we need to create a
>> formal project team to make a list of contact addresses.
>
> http://www.cellml.org/team exists and has existed since cellml.org first
> went live. Are you suggesting we drop this?
>
>> I don't think we should use the word 'project team' because there is no
>> formal project team. Perhaps we can just have a list of people
>
> again, please see http://www.cellml.org/team
>
>> categorised by their interest in the CellML project, and then a contact
>> page which helps people find certain people (for example, we could have
>> a category for technical issues with cellml.org, which would list Tommy,
>> a category for people with the ability to curate cardiac
>> electrophysiology models, which would list James, and a category for
>> people with an interest in cardiac electrophysiological modelling, which
>> would list anyone who wanted to be on the list).
>
> The problem I still have with these lists and categorisations is that
> unless someone actively maintains them they rapidly become outdated and
> provide the community and potential community members with inconsistent
> information. They also provide the possibility of emails going
> unanswered due to the person/people they email being out of touch for
> some reason.

I realise that maintenance responsibilities for site like cellml.org can
add up to quite a bit job, evidenced by the out of date roadmaps etc.
that are up there at the moment. Maintaining the core group of people
involved wouldn't be too hard I don't think, but maintaining a list of
people in the outer community doesn't sound feasible. I think the only
way to do this would be to get people to add themselves, which we would
moderate. Of course we'd have to get them to take themselves off, which
would be a problem. Maybe we could do a regular check that they are
still around, perhaps automatically send them an email every 6 months
that they are obliged to reply to if they want to stay on the site.

> The basic premise is that we want to encourage all correspondence to go
> to the cellml-discussion mailing list - thus providing the most benefit
> to both the sender and the community.

Yes, and we also want to build the community and get these people who
are using cellml or developing software around cellml to actually get
involved with the site. That means, to me, user generated content. Get
people to make their own pages. Later, this can expand into people in
the community having their own project workspaces.

 Providing contact details for the
> core team members (http://www.cellml.org/team) is simply a way to try
> and capture interest from people who, for whatever reason, have some
> aversion to participating in an open discussion.

As I say in my other email, this may be for any reason, but I think one
big one is that undergrads and young grad students might feel a bit
intimidated sending their 'silly question' to a list. These are people
we really want to draw in because we want them to use cellml in their work.