On Nov 20, 2007 7:06 PM, Dana  wrote:
> I have been offline all day and I'm at work now so I'be not going to respond
> to this blow by blow. But look, sure he was an asshole. You act as though
> the current situation is rainbows and teddy bears though. All I'm saying is
> that if you google "worse than Saddam" you get a boatload of hits, and a lot
> of them seem pretty authoritative.

I'm not saying that, either. The situation in Iraq has been really bad
for three and a half years, partly because of Tweedledee and
Tweedledum, partly because of Saddamist dead-enders, and partly
because of Al-Qaeda. Thankfully the situation is changing, largely
because we switched strategies and convinced the locals to join up
with us in exchange for local control, essentially giving them their
sovereignty back. Why it took so long to come up with such an obvious
strategy I have no idea, but it seems to be working.

The bigger picture is that the Iraqis are now in control of their own
destiny. They have oil wealth, a small population, and the backing of
the US. They could be a peaceful, prosperous and free nation in just a
few years if they choose to work together for a better future.

>
> RE Mexico -- I'm in a border state too. However, I've also been to southern
> Mexico and one of the things that struck me was the environmental
> devastation. On a beach in Veracruz where people used to selll seafood, we
> saw all kinds of trash washed ashore. A lot of the people who
> wanted to practice english on me because they were headed north mentioned
> not being able to work their fams. Bottom line -- don't know enough to say
> for sure it's so, but I don't think you are wise to dismiss Gel's comments
> about the IMF and/or World Bank.

I'm not dismissing Gels' comments at all. I dislike the IMF and World
Bank, for the most part. What Mexico needs is better government, not
bureaucrats from some global NGO telling them what to do. Mexico by
all rights should be an industrialized nation every bit as wealthy as
the US and Canada, but the elites in Mexico have spent hundreds of
years hoarding their wealth and squandering the opportunity to join
the rich world.

As for going to Mexico, I refuse to go down there. I haven't been for
several years and I am not going back until they do something to clean
up their f-ed up country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Get the answers you are looking for on the ColdFusion Labs
Forum direct from active programmers and developers.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?forumid-72&catid=648

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Community/message.cfm/messageid:246880
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5

Reply via email to