Wow denstar...

Ok let me answer a couple of the things. Yes he is on medication, and is on
the current legal maximum dose of anti depressants. Well what he can buy
legally I suppose, that side of things never gets me. We have to buy the
medication, at the moment because he literally has gotten to a point where
he is just curled up day after day, night after night.

Sometimes it's hard to know if he is with us or not, by that I mean he
acknowledges people but will take awhile to respond.

It is not easy to watch, because we actually feel helpless.

Can you elaborate more on the health plan, I am not sure I understand that?
Nothing has been mentioned to us about that, what I do know is we have a
list that we adhere to keep a vigil eye on him.

You have given us a lot to take in here, so let me digest it:-)

And I actually feel like a rat talking here, but I know how supportive you
guys are. So I guess taking a small bit of abuse, would be beneficial if it
helps me grip the situation some more.




-----Original Message-----
From: denstar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Sunday, 28 September 2008 4:39 PM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Need some advice on serioulsy depressed friend

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM, CyberAngel wrote:
> See that's part of the problem, the one thing he has left is his work. The
> Dr's from what I am to understand have basically said that he is too sick
> not to work, but he is too sick to work. He see's two dr's every 2 days,
no
> ifs no butts.

If he's not eating well, and not sleeping well, it will probably get worse.

He should look at his health-plan, if he's got one, and see what it
provides for.  Sometimes a couple weeks, maybe a month, are just what
is needed.  The company will cover the time in some mellow
institution, or an institution, period.

A break from all that outside pressure.

> Now you talk about self committing? How would that go about friends, we
have
> felt that our last option is to put him out of harms way. I believe the
> option has been mentioned between the dr's, but it is understood that he
> isn't really eating and it will just make it worse.

Friends/Support network is the key element to getting better.
Theodore Huxley has some interesting thoughts about it, IIRC, in the
doors of perception, but the concept is that it's pretty fucking crazy
in a mental institution.  You need non-crazies to help get you back on
that plane most people call "sane".  IMO.  Those places can seriously
fuck you up.

The difference between committing oneself, and being committed, is
that generally, it's easier to get out if you put yourself in there.
That said, it's still scary, because without people to fight for you,
on the "outside", it might not work that way.

It's good to get any medical stuff taken care of ahead of time.  If he
trusts you, and you can hang with it, you could be his "advocate", and
medical whatchamacallit.  Basically, it would be up to you to research
the drugs they want to put him on, and ask questions he might not be
in the state of mind to ask.

If he's not too far gone, he may be able to just take some time off,
maybe go on some medication (is he on stuff already?  Perhaps they
need to adjust his dosage/medications), and get unwound a bit.  "Work"
may be just keeping his hands busy, and a fishing pole can do that
too. A good friend to keep him company, and all better.  :-)

But if you're seriously fearing for his life, well... I wouldn't
presume to tell someone what to do in those awful decision time-times,
doing anything (doing nothing is something) could have some heavy
consequences.

I've called suicide lines, in the past, when I wasn't sure what to do,
and, well... "Ask them frankly", is one thing they'll tell you.

But, really, they'll urge you to save your friend's life.  The answer
to "how" isn't easy.  Sometimes it takes doing something you'd really
rather not, and feeling like a rat for it.  Usually it doesn't, but
sometimes it does, and if you guess wrong... well, think about the
various outcomes, and make the call you think is needed.

Whatever happens, well, it was meant to, anyways.  We've still got
free will tho.  :-)

Total bitch to have to think about the stuff.  Not easy.  Not fun.

Depending on his problems tho, and available facilities, the nut-house
ain't a half-bad solution.  I'd want people to have my back tho, were
I to go into one.  And I'd want to go to a nice one.  They can vary
WIDELY, so research is a damn good idea.

> Sorry for the questions this is all new to me.

Hmmm.  Finding out how this stuff works isn't a bad idea.

There are some pretty good groups out there, and I'd contact your
local whatchamacallit (Dana might know that acronym-- mental health
advocates or similar, I think it's world-wide) to get the nity-gritty
on what stuff is available in your area.

Heavy thoughts.  I feel for you, as well as your friend.

If he does end up "in" someplace, it will do him wonders to have your
support.  Bringing "awesome" food, for instance, may help your friend
keep eating, and encourage him.

Committing someone is the last last resort, IMO, but it is better than
death.  IMO.

Not that I've been dead, 'cept for maybe in this dream this one
time...  but logically, there's always time to experience it later.
Let us see what else will happen, I say!

-- 
Woohoo for unpredictability!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;207172674;29440083;f

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:271161
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.5

Reply via email to