Doing contract work is a choice vs full time with benefits. Either you
want more on an hourly bases, you're starting your own consulting
business  or there just isn't any choice. The latter will become more
common.

As for insurance you do have a choice, as for starters you're covered
by the VA, then if you sign on to full time job you are automagically
accepted with your pre-existing condition.


On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Eric Roberts
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> And watch out for that meteor that is about to hit your head too Michael ;-)
>
> I don't smoke (asthma).  No sugar for me (I am a diabetic). No illicit
> drugs. Yeah I get the fats, but I limit my carbs (carbs turn into sugar...so
> back to the diabetic thing).  So much for that theory bud ;-)  What I worry
> about is being able to afford my meds and not have to worry about going
> bankrupt if I have to go to the hospital.  As someone who does mostly
> contract work, I don't have access to an employer sponsored plan most of the
> time (On occasion, the consulting companies that I work through offer a
> bottom of the barrel plan...but all the parameters reset every time I start
> a new contract as I rarely work through the same company twice in a row).
> Currently I am doing an independent contract.  So, no chance of insurance
> there.  I do get most of my care through the VA as I am a disabled vet, but
> if there is an emergency, I have to go to a regular hospital as the VAMC is
> about an hour away.  Prior to this bill passing, I couldn't get my own
> insurance since I have diabetes and asthma.  There already is a limit on the
> total number of hours an employee can work in the labor laws as you have to
> have a certain amount of hours between shifts and can only work a certain
> number of 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Want to reach the ColdFusion community with something they want? Let them know 
on the House of Fusion mailing lists
Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/message.cfm/messageid:313866
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/cf-community/unsubscribe.cfm

Reply via email to