For most small to medium projects I'm not sure why you would ever want to
buy CF anyway - hosting seems the way to.  Since the development servers are
free you can create and publish a CF application for very little money just
as you would anything else.

In my experience the cost of CF server (at $1200) is insignificant in the
scheme of any project where they'll be buying and managing their own
servers.

Jim Davis