Here is one thing I have done over the past week.  Vista came
pre-installed on brand new Dell Insp. 9400 with all the usual software I
needed to remove.  Things performed fair on most applications.  I was
using Windows OneCare as my virus protection.  I had been using it on XP
and it was doing a pretty good job and I didn't notice any performance
issues.

Last week I decided I would do a fresh install of everything off of the
Dell Image, this installs all the same software I didn't want so I
removed.  After an install, removal and getting all updates I installed,
or tried to install the new Dreamweaver.  I would estimate it may have
take about 30-45 min to install and launch the application for the first
time.  I could see the system process as running but nothing at all was
happening.  Even after it installed and I tried to launch it would take
5 or more minutes to even open.

This weekend I installed from the Vista disc instead of the image.  So I
had no included software.  I also didn't install OneCare I am using AVG
7.5 ... It installed quickly and runs as I would expect it to.

Two variables.

1. No OneCare being used
2. Something that DELL installed in its original shipment was causing
issues.