Great!  Creating a virtual directory called "CFIDE" to the CFIDE folder
under the "Default Web Site" brought the richtext cftextara right up!

Was this complication caused by my using a webroot of "E:\inetpub\webroot"
other than the normal "C:\inetpub\wwwroot"?

I suspect so, but I definitely need a more authoritative opinion as to why
I needed the CFIDE virtual directory when I never have before.

Thanks, Dave!

Rick