Remove most of the users from the pre-production database and those
that are left (2 or 3 or however many you need to test your app),
replace those with Yahoo or gmail addresses.

When you roll it out, make sure before you do, you copy the users
table from the production DB to the pre-production DB.

I mean, if you are dead set on using a separate SMTP, I can provide
one for you, but it will cost your company money. I'm just saying that
there is a much cheaper way.

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Nathan Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sorry, not tryingto be rude, but I guess I don't understand what the
>  > purpose of such a thing would be.
>
>  No need to apologize.  Let avoid the whole QA vs. Developer issue and lay 
> out the ugly details of the situation.
>
>  The specific incident that started my search was that during testing, our 
> pre-production environment sent out emails to real customers.  The database 
> in pre-production starts out as a copy of our production database, and then 
> has any alterations applied to it that are required by the release being 
> tested (which is in itself a partial test of the roll-out plan).  When the 
> scheduled jobs that are part of this application were enabled, they started 
> sending emails using the contact information in the database.
>
>  My initial reaction was to simply disable CFMAIL by pointing it to a bogus 
> SMTP server.  That would have, however, prevented QA from testing the email 
> functionality of the application, hence my search for a proxy that would 
> capture the emails for later inspection / validation.
>
>  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;192386516;25150098;k

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/message.cfm/messageid:304681
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Reply via email to