> Really? Why?
> 
> I guess coming from a QA background and merging web 
> development into it, I perhaps do things differently. Why do 
> developers make bad QA people usually? They have familiarly 
> with the code and I would think they would have to test to 
> see if the code worked as part of the job.

Well, ok, where to start.

First, while developers may make lousy QA people, I wouldn't say that the
reverse is true. QA people can become good developers. In many
organizations, that's the standard path for a new hire.

But back to the main point, developers are generally bad at QA precisely
because they're familiar with the code, or with what the application is
supposed to do. Many developers would never think to throw data at an
application that falls outside the acceptable boundaries of what that
application should expect, because they know what kind of data should be
entered, and they assume without thinking that everyone else does as well.
Developers are very good at testing the code with acceptable values, and
they are very good at fixing compiler errors, but not as good at testing the
code with values that don't make sense to them.

I think the move toward test-driven development has changed that a bit, but
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's no longer a problem.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Training: Adobe/Google/Paperthin Certified Partners
http://training.figleaf.com/

WebManiacs 2008: the ultimate conference for CF/Flex/AIR developers!
http://www.webmaniacsconference.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Adobe® ColdFusion® 8 software 8 is the most important and dramatic release to 
date
Get the Free Trial
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;192386516;25150098;k

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/message.cfm/messageid:304690
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4

Reply via email to