From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 11 August 2008 10:23 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: SVN in Production

Andrew Scott wrote:
> What
> Do you mean by repo -> server and server -> repo?
>
> The latter should never be an issue, or even considered. Anyone who makes
> changes to production and not in a development environment shouod be hung
> out to dry or better still beaten with a stick until you realise that
> development is what it means.

So you think the entire /etc/ folder on a production box is the same as
an /etc/ folder on a development box? You think they have the same
hostnames? The same IP addresses? The same firewall rules? That the test
environment has a two year backup retention like production has?

Not everybody uses SVN just for sourcecode. Some use it for their
university thesis. Some for their grocery list. Some use SVN for
complete server configurations. And what you use it for does influence
the usage pattern. It is perfectly acceptable to change the -Dmail.host
oarameter in your jvm.config file directly on production and then back
it up to SVN.

> Once you have deployed to a production server, it should never have any
ties
> with the repository in any way shape or form. If you are one of those that
> think this is ok, then you will need to adopt new procedures quickly.
Before
> you adopt bad and I mean VERY BAD ideas.

Generally speaking you don't want to have production running directly
from a working copy. But there is nothing wrong with putting $Id$,
$HeadURL$ etc. in your sources so that code and configuration files on
the production box points back to a specific version of a file in a
repository.

Jochem