On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Casey Dougall
<ca...@uberwebsitesolutions.com> wrote:

> And these clients in return purchase ColdFusion. We are their Marketing in
> this department. It's in Adobe's best interest to allow ColdFusion
> Developers access to tools that assist with development on their platform,
> because it actually costs money to install on the server.

For a developer, it still costs you $0 to be a CF developer (not
counting a computer system to develop on):

web server: free (Apache)
database: free (mySQL)
CF Server: free (developer edition)
IDE:  free (CF Eclipse)

The only time it costs you is when you deploy to production (the CF
license for that server or web hosting).  If you want, the rest can
remain free.  Now, if you want something different (SQL Server or CF
Builder), it will cost more.  But, that's your choice. If you don't
think the extra features in CF Builder are worth it [I don't at this
point] then don't buy it.

> Look at Flex, Flash, ActionScript.... These platforms or whatever are
> available on X amount of computers around the world, at no additional cost
> to the client or the developer.

Flash and ActionScript certainly do have an additional cost to the
developer. You need the Flash product itself to develop in them.  Flex
is only free if you want to use the command-line compiler.  As above,
you start paying more if you want more bells and whistles (Flash
Builder).

> Look at how Macromedia did it... ColdFusion Report Builder is FREE! Totally
> separate product that can be used in conjunction with one of products you
> have to pay to install on a device... ColdFusion

>From what I heard of Report Builder ( at least in CF7 ) they still
charged too much. :)

> Every ColdFusion license should come with 1 Builder License.

I don't see how that helps spreading the use of CF. I think most
people who are trying to learn CF are going to use the Developer
version of the server, which, presumably, wouldn't come with the
Builder License.  Even companies that want to "try" CF probably aren't
going to buy a license right away (at least, I'd have my employees try
the Developer edition first), so it doesn't help them.  What it would
seem to help are the people who are already using CF -- especially
companies who are buying their own servers.

> They don't need to do that with their other languages, it's a given so the
> fact that you need to purchase a development tool there is a given.
> ColdFusion, not so much so.

And you don't need to for ColdFusion.  You CAN, but you don't need to.

>> A number of us will shell out the $300 for CFBuilder -and-
>> FlashBuilder.  A number of us will continue to use CFEclipse or TextMate or
>> Coda or BBEdit or...
>>

> That's misleading. It's $600 ish as you need to purchase FlashBuilder
> Premium, I don't have Flex Builder currently.

If you pay $300 for CF Builder, FlashBuilder comes with it. You don't
need to pay $600 if you don't want the other features of FlashBuilder
premium (unit testing, command-line building, etc.)

Scott.