On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Casey Dougall <
ca...@uberwebsitesolutions.com> wrote:

> OK Plain and simple... Why ColdFusion builder should be FR$$!
>
> And these clients in return purchase ColdFusion. We are their Marketing in
> this department. It's in Adobe's best interest to allow ColdFusion
> Developers access to tools that assist with development on their platform,
> because it actually costs money to install on the server.

I'm not disagreeing that there could be value there.  But there could also
be value in the cross-promotion efforts.  The two are not mutually
exclusive, but Adobe chose to go with one over the other.  Doesn't make it
wrong.

> Look at Flex, Flash, ActionScript.... These platforms or whatever are
> available on X amount of computers around the world, at no additional cost
> to the client or the developer.
>
> Two totally different business models.
>
> Look at how Macromedia did it... ColdFusion Report Builder is FREE! Totally
> separate product that can be used in conjunction with one of products you
> have to pay to install on a device... ColdFusion
>
> Yes, you should pay for anything that needs to interact with their FREE
> scripting languages, but not the paid for ones!

Not sure I see the correlation.  But looking back at Macromedia, if memory
serves, ColdFusion Studio (when it was an IDE and not a product suite) was
not free.  So OK, let's look at how Macromedia did it ;)

Oh, and ColdFusion Studio was $495.  10 years later we have a better product
(arguably... at least in its potential) and it costs $200 less.

HomeSite/HomeSite+... also not free.

I think those are better correlations than CF Report Builder.

> Every ColdFusion license should come with 1 Builder License.

Hey don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be against this :)  But I'm also not
going to rail against Adobe because it doesn't.

> Separate license that can be given out as promotional value to a new
> developer who is interested in CFML. They in return, start using it, love
> it, and tell their clients to install it on their server. $$$

Those same developers can download the 60 day trial (that's 2 months... I've
downloaded trials that expired in 15 days, well before I even had the chance
to give 'em a fair shake).  That should be more than enough time to start
loving it, telling their clients to use it, and then shelling out the $300
for it (-and- by virtue of doing so gaining exposure to FlashBuilder).
 Win/win.

> They don't need to do that with their other languages, it's a given so the
> fact that you need to purchase a development tool there is a given.
> ColdFusion, not so much so.

This goes back to the ever-present debate about the cost of ColdFusion
server versus the cost of other similar platforms.  Yes, CF costs.  PHP does
not, ASP does not, etc.  We make up for the cost via rapid application
development and in the end, save a metric assload of money.  I don't see the
IDE argument factoring in here at all.

> > You  might stop doing so because you're upset about
> > the fact that the CFBuilder pricing isn't catered to your needs... a
> > handful
> > of others might as well.  But I'd venture to guess that it won't be a
> > statistically significant amount of people.  CF server is the product we
> > use
> > and love.
>
> No, I totally love CFML. Adobe lucked out when they bought Macromedia!

I agree.  I think most developers will agree.  I don't think Adobe's going
to lose a lot of existing developers over this, but they stand to gain
(many?) more.

> A number of us will shell out the $300 for CFBuilder -and-
> > FlashBuilder.  A number of us will continue to use CFEclipse or TextMate
> or
> > Coda or BBEdit or...
> >

> That's misleading. It's $600 ish as you need to purchase FlashBuilder
> Premium, I don't have Flex Builder currently.

It's not misleading.  CFBuilder, which costs $299, comes with FlashBuilder
standard.

>From http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/buy/#cfb :

"Additionally, easily create rich interfaces for your applications with a
complimentary copy of Flash Builder 4 Standard </products/flex/buy/> included
with ColdFusion Builder."

So it's not $600 ish.  It's $299 and you get both ColdFusion Builder and
FlashBuilder.  Which is pretty much saying, "Buy FlashBuilder and get
CFBuilder for free" (or vice-versa).  Much better deal than CFStudio for
$500 :)

--
Charlie Griefer
http://charlie.griefer.com/

I have failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my life. I love my
wife. And I wish you my kind of success.