From: Eric Cobb [mailto:cft...@ecartech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:28 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: cfdot.net

Calling him dishonest is very short sighted on your part (to say the
least!).  Has the thought occurred to you that perhaps the reason there
was so much extra code in the .Net example was because he's not a
seasoned .Net developer?  I know I certainly wouldn't know the absolute
best way to do something when just transferring over to a new language.
I'm willing to bet there are many seasoned .Net developers who would
make plenty of rookie mistakes when just starting out with CF.

Perhaps instead of jumping to conclusions and making accusations, you
should offer to help him clean up his examples so they are more accurate.

Thanks,

Eric Cobb
ECAR Technologies, LLC
http://www.ecartech.com
http://www.cfgears.com

Matthew Small wrote:
> All language religion aside - it's not a fair comparison, it's biased
towards CF. You should be more honest in your comparisons if you expect
anyone to take it seriously.

> Example:
>
> CFEXECUTE:
>
> CF:
> <cfexecute name="C:\WinNT\System32\netstat.exe">
> </cfexecute>
>

> ASP.NET
>
> 01.using System;
> 02.using System.Drawing;
> 03.using System.Collections;
> 04.using System.ComponentModel;
> 05.using System.Windows.Forms;
> 06.using System.Data;
> 07.using System.Diagnostics;
> 08.
> 09.    ...
> 10.
> 11.    //Declare and instantiate a new process component.
> 12.    System.Diagnostics.Process process1;
> 13.    process1= new System.Diagnostics.Process();
> 14.
> 15.    //Do not receive an event when the process exits.
> 16.    process1.EnableRaisingEvents = false;
> 17.
> 18.
> 19.    //The "/C" Tells Windows to Run The Command then Terminate
> 20.    string strCmdLine;
> 21.    strCmdLine = "/C netstat ";
> 22.    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("CMD.exe",strCmdLine);
> 23.    process1.Close();
>

> All that is actually needed is:
>
> System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("netstat.exe");
>
> All of the other stuff is extraneous.  The need for the "using" statements
is negated by the fully-qualified name for the method.  The object
"process1" isn't used at all for the actual execution.  Passing the
netstat.exe executable to the cmd.exe process is ridiculous - you could do
the same with CFEXECUTE. Adding in extra string arguments just builds up the
amount of code you want to display. And FYI: this one line of code can be
executed in the .aspx page: