> I pushed that...he doesn't like PayPal for some reason...he is under the
> impression that people don't like it.   Not something that I have ever
> heard...but he has that stuck in his head. I have suggested several other
> free options.  It's not decision unfortunately.  I even suggested that he
> use café press for now until; he gets some sales (He wants to do a t-shirt
> site...I questioned whether or not this would even take off as he would be a
> really small fish in a huge ocean of t-shirt sites).  He insists on doing
> his own site...so finding a good cart to integrate into this that he can
> afford is the difficulty...which is why I asked here and instead of getting
> advice from folks like Sean, I was told that if I can't afford the carts out
> there for 200, I shouldn't even be a developer.  So if you really want to
> point a finger, I was just defending myself.

This is all so screwed up, it's not even wrong.

1. $200 for any software development product is on the extreme low-end
of the scale. If you can't afford to buy the tools you need to do a
job, you shouldn't do the job. This doesn't reflect on your skills as
a developer, etc, it's just a fact of life. That's all that Sean was
saying, and he's absolutely right, and you're absolutely wrong to
label it as "elitist BS". There's a cost of entry into any field that
goes beyond your own skills. If you want to be a freelance programmer,
you have to buy a certain amount of stuff, like a computer. If you
want to be a car mechanic, you have to buy tools. Etc, etc, etc. So, I
point the finger at you for mischaracterizing Sean's response. I'm
sorry you don't have the money you need to do this job, but there you
go. And, you have a history of doing this with Sean specifically, and
it's out of line, and I think you should stop.

2. You're working for nothing for a client that's going to make
nothing. You have bigger problems than the cost of an ecommerce
package. If your client wants specific functionality that's in a COTS
package, he needs to buy the package, not you. If it's too rich for
his taste, that's his problem, not yours. But you're just wasting your
time doing this work. Clients like this, who aren't willing to pay for
what they want, or can't pay for what they want, they're toxic and you
should avoid them. This guy wants Amazon functionality on a Paypal
budget, and you're not going to be able to make him happy, which leads
to ...

3. You're using the wrong tools for the job. If you want to do
low-margin work, you need to use low-margin tools. You know, that
might mean PHP, because there's a much larger FOSS ecosystem around
PHP than CF. CF simply has never really aimed at that market. Frankly,
if I were you and I wanted to go after that range of clients, I'd drop
CF like a stone. Not because PHP is better, of course, and I wouldn't
like it, but it makes sense in that market.

I'm sorry for being harsh, if you perceive this as harsh, but the
facts are what they are. I do wish you good luck in your future
development endeavors, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or on