> Actually, I don’t want to do freelance work, but I am forced to do so.

I'm sorry to hear that. But if you're forced to do something, and you
want to do it successfully, you may have to change your expectations,
etc.

> And just because you share his attitude doesn't make it not elitist.

No, the fact that I share his attitude doesn't make it not elitist.
Something else does, though. Sean's statement is descriptive, not
prescriptive. It describes the world as it is, it doesn't say the
world should be this way or that. If you want to do certain things,
and those things require you to buy tools, you can't do those things
unless you can afford the tools. That's just the way it is. I'm sure
Sean would also like to spend less money buying tools, and I know I
would. But no one's giving away free computers, and no one's giving
away all sorts of other things I need to do my job. So I buy what I
need to buy, or I don't take the job.

And if you look at the general prices of software development tools,
$200 is on the low end. It's not as low-end as free, of course, but
again, you have to look at what other non-free software costs for your
comparison. Again, not elitism, just an observation that you can
confirm by spending half an hour on cdw.com or pparadise.com, etc. And
custom packages, etc, for CF are kind of a niche anyway, so if I
wanted to build a COTS shopping cart in CF that I could sell, I'd have
to price it pretty high, because not too many people would buy it.

That's not elitism, it's just a description of the world, unless by
"elitism" you mean "something I don't like". The world sucks in a lot
of ways. But it is what it is.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite