On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Dave Watts <dwa...@figleaf.com> wrote:
> I wonder what kind of regression testing Railo does before releasing
> an update? That's not intended as a dig, but there are differences
> between expectations for open-source software and commercial software,
> between large vendors and small, etc.

A perfectly reasonable question. Railo has three update providers:
* Bleeding Edge / Development
* Preview
* Stable

For the Stable provider, every test engineering has is run and must
pass. Since every JIRA ticket creates at least one new test, that body
of tests is constantly increasing. This is recommended for production
servers.

For the Preview provider, consider that equivalent to 'beta' versions
that have had manual testing on bug fixes or small changes to the
stable version and may have had limited regression testing but haven't
been run thru the full suite. This is recommended for users
comfortable with testing bug fixes to verify that a reported fix is
indeed correct.

The BER provider is for early 'alpha' or even 'pre-alpha' testing of
new features and has had only limited testing. For example, this
provider currently offers early builds of the next point release of
Railo - 3.3 - and partial features are made available here so users
can provide early feedback and help shape them as they evolve. Once
3.3 hits release candidate state, builds will be offered on the
Preview provider in preparation for it becoming the next Stable
version, at which point BER will switch to early builds of 4.0.

There's actually another level, not offered thru a provider, and
that's "Build from source" for the more adventurous souls - and folks
who want to dig deep into features (or bugs) and offer their own
patches.

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if you'd like more detail.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood