"Out of context" for this thread? This thread was a question about how to do
"xyz" with Subversion. Anything about using Git, the kewl kids are using Git,
Git is Defacto, etc etc etc, is out of context.

Every technology is a tool and each tool has it's uses. Just because some have
manage to replace one tool for another does not mean it's right for some else's
team. This technology zealotry is annoying at best and for the most part
useless off-topic squabbling. Most of the replies here have not even addressed
the OP and his questions, aside from my initial reply to the OP.

SVN is very valid and is used heavily will continue to be used long from now.
And the same should be said about Git.

For those that remember the old slow Tortoise client maybe you should revisit
SVN with a new client. As of the 1.7 releases of the SVN clients they no longer
use the .svn files and folders. Additionally the 1.7 SVN clients work perfectly
with the SVN 1.6 server. This change in client behavior has made working with
very large repos mush easier and faster. If fact he new SVN clients are similar
to the Git clients in that fashion.

I hope the OP did find use in the first few responses before this SVN vs Git
feud started. It would be a shame to drive a person away because instead of
getting his question answered everyone decided to start a technology flame war.

Now have a nice day.

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/
Systems Administrator