I also once had a client who did this, they were Linux heads who thought
that hiding the "sucky insecure windows/cf server" behind a linux server
and doing a reverse proxy would make it secure.
But of course it didn't as everything still works the same way, the SQL
injections still got through, the insecure file upload forms still allowed
files to be uploaded, which could then be executed as they had cfexecute
and cfregistry enabled.

the worse thing is this was the governments hosting dept :-)