The difference between an MVP and Adobe CE is folks are measured yearly on
their efforts. For example, if you make MVP this year because you did an
outstanding job last year (and made the criteria that the independent body
agreed upon) it doesn't automatically mean you'll get it next year if you
decide to get bored with the idea.

It's apples for oranges really, but the point I was trying to make is whom
are your/our (still consider myself a cfaussie) leaders, what recognition do
they get and above all what level of support? (ie Barry Beattie comes to
mind a lot when I think of this).

I could really go to town on this but I think I'm overstepping my boundaries
as be clear, I'm Microsoft and can't speak my mind on this one topic.

Suffice to say the following:

   - *There is lack of maturity in the local CF ranks.* Most of the
   ranking officers/generals in ANZ are either in management roles or in other
   languages (Java, .NET etc). This is really bad, as whom are mentoring the
   Juniors? and more importantly what are they teaching them?
   - *There is lack of marketing spend.* This doesn't have to be
   billboards, events, rally points if you will are marketing amongst other
   means. We had really small budget to market Silverlight with last year, we
   made it scale and that product was zero install in January last year.
   - *There is lack of diversity.* Folks, we are never one brand and i
   encourage you all to consider going beyond your comfort zones. There is a
   large IT world out there whom will not award you points for being 100% loyal
   to one brand. Allow yourself to be around other communities whom may not
   like your technology preferences, but i guarantee you, they will respect you
   as professional for looking at theres. Diversity is key, as it forms
   relationship and fosters various adoption lifecyles that benefit all. If
   you're not getting the numbers you need with a UG, look at merging or
   colloborating with others. People donate 1-2hrs of their personal time to
   attend these, make them feel its an investment, not a chore.
   - *The old days are gone. *Who cares what happened in the last 3-5
   years. What people care about is what's happening in the next 3-5 years.
   Cynergy Systems for example, told me last year at MIX07 in Vegas "we're
   announcing our support of Silverlight" and they did so because they believed
   in our roadmap and our vision for the future. I have countless more stories
   like this, roadmaps are currency as todays' technology weakness is
   tomorrow's strength. I won't preach at you, but ask yourself a simple
   question, where do you see Coldfusion heading in 3-5 years? not just the
   server itself but the surrounding ecosystem.
   - *There is lack of rapid prototyping.* Rapid prototyping is something
   more and more companies are looking for daily. if you can't produce a
   solution in minimal time, whilst your competitor can, weigh up what you're
   doing and why you are doing it that way. Broaden your horizons and
   understand that it's not about quality, it's mostly about quantity. Ruby On
   Rails, can be the most awful solution known to man in the wrong hands, and
   it sadly does end up in the wrong hands a lot, but the reason why it had a
   nice amount of run on the boards was simply because it empowered engineers
   to pump out solutions rapidly.
   - *There is lack of community spirit. *Go to a CFUG? what value does
   one get? It's an open ended question. If all folks get is to see a video or
   presentation they can view online anyway then what value are you adding to
   peoples lives. Whom are you inviting to speak and what value are they
   offering? Are you talking to the same people? Is debating on CFAussie really
   the right place to do so? and so on... where is your aggregation point for
   the CF virgin out there? how does one sound a bell and all flock to a single
   rally point and what is that rally point?

CF locally "is" or "isn't" on the decline really is not the argument here.
Assume for this exercise it is, say there entire system is about to crumble
and FUD is based of truth. Now what would you do differently to change that
and how would you execute it? I say this as we assume .NET is losing numbers
daily and we expect it to grow by 20% each year and that's what we do, we
work hard to make it grow year on year. We never relax as being successful
is really easy, staying successful, now that is truly an art.

When I joined the CF Community many years ago, CFUG.org.au for one was my
entrance, the people I meet throughout my career have been remarkable and
have been close friends. I have a lot of good and bad stories to tell around
this language and I'll be honest, it's something I hope to instill into the
Silverlight/WPF community world-wide going forward. I understood what makes
a technology community great, and it wasn't brand worship or individuals
within Macromedia/Adobe we should worship, it was more the people around the
brand/company. Folks you looked up to and respected because they knew xyz
feature better than any and would drop what they were doing to educate you
on it.

Anyway, enough my nostalgia, fact is there is a lot of weaknesses in
Coldfusion right now and seeing a lot jobs for CF is one thing, seeing a lot
of the same jobs a month later is equally as bad as not seeing jobs for
Coldfusion. There's a distinction in quality vs quantity there.

--
Regards,
Scott Barnes