Scott,

Just curious, when did you learn .NET? Was it out of a book? while you were on a Coldfusion Job? or did Microsoft train you?

Cheers
Gareth.

Scott Barnes wrote:
Charlie,

Here we go.. I'm going to keep this onpoint as best I can as I feel it's trailing off.

In many respects, you're intent is to push the Adobe has it under control belief, which is perfectly fine, whilst I'm on the flipside simply saying - I really don't care if they do or they don't, but should you wish to change, previous threads are some data points to consider.

(Apologise if I cut out some of the rant, some of it, i felt was a little to - ahuh, and i'm not sure what made you assume I've been under a rock for the last 10 years when it comes to Adobe/Macromedia, but ok).

"..(You ask about FUD, which is engendering "fear, uncertainty, and doubt", for  the kids watching at home. This is perhaps a perfect example of it. You state things you feel to be true, from a lofty position, when they're not quite, and when they have a tendency to assert cause for concern when there may be none.).."- Charlie

I've stated criteria in which I consider to be weaknesses in Coldfusion, simply because in actual fact they are. If you break away from the MXNA blog sphere over time, and listen to the outer threads of conversations (over past 5years), compete analysis and basically interaction with folks whom aren't favourable to Coldfusion, you'll most likely come to a similar conclusion. Right now, for example,  If you were to look at this from a compete situation, PHP/Ruby on Rails is more ASP.NET (Coldfusion doesn't even rate on the radar) competitor, given factors like Wordpress etc play a role in online hosting. Check out Netcraft reports if you'd like.

On a side and personal note, I personally have the belief, that if one is to label FUD it's effectively saying " you have no integrity and will use any underhanded tactic you can to achieve your goals..", now for a peaceful chap like yourself whom as you say, "doesn't want to pick a fight", you're certainly heading in the wrong direction then.

Keep in perspective, everything that one says in a forum setting such as this will be vague, as it's human dialogue evolving as each new point arises. At times, a negative point may arise and to note this and simply assume that the person is then disseminating negative (and vague) information - therefore is FUD, is well...a weak/cop out posture to take. As I guess, I reserve the right to counter-FUD you? (is there a stamp we can buy for that?)

As in that perspective it's a case of, "say positive things only, should you find a negative point, halt the dialogue. Respective parties then are to go fact find, collect raw un-biased evidence, bring it back to the dialogue in question and present, or else it will be stamped & labeled as FUD". If that is likely to occur in this instance, then this will be even more of long drawn out thread. Accuse me of FUD, but substantiate it at the very least otherwise it's you whom are disseminating negative (and vague) labels.

I also say that without emotion attached (ie not with hostility, but with more of a less deepened amount of antagonism)

"..Are you saying that's your perception of the CE program? Again I'll argue that you're misinformed (which is a shame, when you carry your confidence so highly).The CE program offers many benefits, and none of them involve pizza and beer.." - Charlie

Awaiting the the actual argument.. referring to the website is weak, on two counts. It's insulting that you think i've not read the website in which the Adobe CE program outlines these and secondly you've not outlined what they are. To help you on this journey further, look at Google and search for "Microsoft MVP" even the "Microsoft MVP Summit". The point is that it scales, it's not just a badge or a collective group of people whom meet silently, have discussions and know inside secrets and then that's it. It gets amplified, not just by us but also by the community. It's the community spirit in which i'd like you to focus more in on, instead of defending the feature matrix or quoting FAQ.

They are Apples and Oranges, simply because the MVP ethos is made up of more segments, different technologies and overall different approaches. Question is whether you're open to this projected theory.

"..I'm cool with that. Again, not looking to "win" the argument. Just debating specific points.." - Charlie

I agree, only the other person can let you win any argument. I find elements of your responses to be personal & in many respects whilst minor, insulting, my "crack the knuckles" remark was intended to be a joke, thus i followed with the "hehe". I raise this as I'm not sure you are just in for a debate on specific points? In that where is your position on the matter that doesn't orbit mine?

"..You then say, "The point is, CF community used to be more vibrant than it is today, and not much in the technology or ownership has changed." Wow, talk about sweeping generalizations. Again, that's FUD. You can't defend that assertion. The first is debatable, and the second seems just, well, again, misinfoirmed.  You say "I follow CF8 closely as well as CF9". Well, when so many think CF 8 has made great strides and it's been pretty unanimously praised, this again just comes across as throwing water on an oil fire.." - Charlie

Here's where I have to play the "..you know this from living in Australia for the last 10 years then.." card (which I'm disliking may I add)?

That, or did you assume I meant globally in the Coldfusion community?

If the later, please keep into context, we are talking about Australia/New Zealand in this thread and not US/Outer regions. Neither of us can defend that assertion as again, this is dialogue in a public forum for one, and secondly neither of us have attendance records for all Coldfusion related events and user groups over the past 5-10 years. I'd wager however, and assert my opinion that it has declined in numbers and it's not as vibrant as it once was (using Brisbane for example is quite clear, as i've attended CFUG meetings for the past decade, and used to on more regular basis prior to Microsoft - which is has only been 1yr). Having an opinion being asserted, whilst it has negative outcome, doesn't automatically qualify as FUD simply because lack of raw unbiased evidence. As how again, could we conduct open discussions as the moment someone raises a negative point put forward as an opinion, Charlie brings out the FUD stamp.

I'm not sure what your point about "..when so many think CF 8 has made great strides and it's been pretty unanimously praised, this again just comes across as throwing water on an oil fire.." as I don't recall provoking a point around whether or not it has or hasn't made great strides? That for me is you taking me out of context and soap boxing your pro-Coldfusion 8 speech, in which it has nothing to do with the current discussion at hand -  to which however, i would reply with - we know, we agree, how does this affect the community debate?

As for, "Be clear however, there are more folks out there using alternative langaues today than Coldfusion." Again, as I said to Kai, this just isn't a problem for me. There are more people in the US than in Australia. More bottles of Bud are sold worldwide than VB. So what? IT isn't a zero-sum game. There's no one winner. Those who think there has to be are setting themselves up for heartburn (if they're feeling left out) or over-confidence (if they're on the winning side). I'm simply arguing that things aren't quite as bad as some would make them out to be. - Charlie

Agreed in part, yes this isn't a zero sum game, as for things being as "bad as some would make them out to be" - i look forward to hearing about your attendance at next local events to point that out to a lot of folks whom disagree. This isn't a sudden shift in numbers overnight to this cause, this argument or debate has been ongoing for quite a number of years.

Barry: Would you say it's been happening for what? 5+ years now?

I respect your input Charlie and this isn't me and you thing, I'm singling you out more so to also illustrate that its easy to adjust an argument to focus on the person and critique their specific points blow for blow, but in the end, I put it to you that it degenerates further and no initial solution is found and it's ends in character assassinations (subtle or direct). I'd also encourage you to accept that having a opposing opinion on a given topic within a public forum, that doesn't demand evidence follow doesn't automatically qualify as being FUD.

Furthermore to all, aassuming Microsoft gains in this entire position is realistically quite clear, we don't from a ASP.NET perspective (ie ASP.NET side of the brain says, shhhh..let them be, but the rest of the products say ..."no, they need help..").

However, and to all let me be clear also, my intent is to simply state, Coldfusion is a solution, I still enjoy on a personal level working with and interacting with, Microsoft has an investment in this community from both a Windows market share as well as products like Office, SQL, Silverlight etc. It's in our best interest to ensure interoperability not just from a technical standpoint but also from a community perspective are in place and healthy. I'd rather Microsoftee's (staff/community) collaborate more than simply setup borders and continue to breed elements of distrust. We have 1000's of brands, millions of customers and so many intersecting points that it's ludicrous for us to draw battle lines and attack competing communities with underhanded tactics.

We have enough trust issues in this companies past, we don't end to create more for the future. It's a different culture than it was 5 years ago, reject or accept that, its up to you. No one person is/can be a single brand in todays IT environment.