Charlie,

you're right with a few of your remarks and I think no one has
said Scott is totally right, let's all jump ship because MSFT
and .NET is much better anyway :-)

But imho it's reality that the recent and often talked about
boom in CF8 sales, adoption and cool projects doesn't seem to
have arrived in total (yet) in Australia and New Zealand. I can't
proof that with any figures, but I just need to see how many of
our Flex clients and inquiries for Flex work (in those cases
they're just asking for client development) sit on top of CF.
It's the vast, really the vast minority and it seems to be perception
a few people are having.

I acknowledge that Adobe (as a corporate or even as the platform
team) sees CF as part of the central ecosystem and as an integration
hub. But let's make a step aside here from being really heaviliy
involved into the whole Adobe ecosystem, knowing a lot of people
in Adobe and let's have a look at a) an average web developer in the
average web development shop. Or at b) a self-employed contractor
who's after 3-12 months jobs here in New Zealand.

A's company bosses decide to become a .NET shop - easy as: A retrains
in .NET or PHP etc. because A might not care as long as the salary is
coming in. And anyway, A probably doesn't care about AIR, Flex and
particularly not BlazeDS or LC and they just develop POWS (Plain old
web sites).

B would actually have a hard time finding any domestic contract work
in NZ, where as it would be as easy as to get paid very nice and high
hourly rates after retraining in .NET or Java. So - guess what this
person's decision would be.

Really, most people are not interested what some platform strategists
in the US consider CF to be. They want to do web development, full stop.
If they're having the perception they could better do that in PHP or
easier in .NET, they won't hesitate to move away. And really - with
Adobe positioning (as you've said yourself and I agree this approach
makes a lot of sense) their RIA platform to be server-neutral, it's
even easier "not" to adopt ColdFusion. I'm really not bitching, CF is
great and I live off it for a good part of my income, but the domestic
trend in the region for CF seems to be neutral at best.

I guess what I'm saying here is that a lot comes down to perception
of a product. Also Adobe US as a corporate needs to understand that the
rest of the world does not work in a way as the US market appears to
be ticking along -> Actually this is something also Macromedia used
to have a big issue with and from my experience this particular issue
here in ANZ is very similar to CF's standing in Germany. I do acknowledge
that Australia and NZ are small markets compared to the US, and that
any investment from a vendor's end has to be well thought of and must
prove worthwile from an financial point of view.

Cheers,
Kai