Peter,

There is a signifigant level of structural movement. Not as frequent as read
access but enough to be a consideration.

I looked at the treemanager.cfc Nando mentioned and your entry. Adding
left/right columns sounds like a good a possibility.  I'm going to run some
tests.  Something that could coexist with the adjacency model would really make
this task a lot simpler.  It would also open up the possibility of converting
to nested sets if that turns out to be a better fit.  Thanks guys.

By the way, today at least .. I wholeheartedly agree with the comment "Trees
and hierarchical databases are a match made in hell :)"

Janet