Perhaps worth noting that the oxford english definition of operator
(in the context of mathematics) makes no mention of "data":

"A symbol or function denoting an operation (e.g. ×, +)."

That's somewhat characteristic of word meaning in common use - it's
not very restrictive.

The notion that there is a specific procedure that's the definition of
a word is somewhat unique to the field of computing. It's not how most
people think (though you do tend to pick up this notion after you've
created enough definitions for computers - but even here you have to
have some tolerance for different systems using different
definitions).

I hope this helps,

--
Raul