UDC is a library classification system akin to the Dewey decimal system—the
creators collaborated with Dewy. UTC is also used for data.

> Every number is thought of as a decimal fraction with the initial decimal
> point omitted, which determines the filing order.

I am not sure why you say it cannot handle tables.

> Concepts are organized in two kinds of tables in UDC:[27]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Decimal_Classification#cite_note-UDC_Structure-27>
> Common auxiliary tables (including certain auxiliary signs). These tables
> contain facets of concepts representing, general recurrent characteristics,
> applicable over a range of subjects throughout the main tables, including
> notions such as place, language of the text and physical form of the
> document, which may occur in almost any subject. UDC numbers from these
> tables, called common auxiliaries are simply added at the end of the number
> for the subject taken from the main tables. There are over 15,000 of common
> auxiliaries in UDC.
> The main tables or main schedules containing the various disciplines and
> branches of knowledge, arranged in 9 main classes, numbered from 0 to 9 (with
> class 4 being vacant). At the beginning of each class there are also series
> of special auxiliaries, which express aspects that are recurrent within this
> specific class. Main tables in UDC contain more than 60,000 subdivisions.

Can you show exactly what is gained by your “ordinal fraction”?

Also—the set of Natural numbers begin with 1 yet we use base 10 representation
that uses 0.

However in the 4 BCE the Greeks used their letters to represent numbers from
one to nine with no zero:

alpha  beta  gamma  delta  epsilon  digamma  zeta  eta  theta

They didn’t need to use 0 for higher values because much like Romans they had
symbols for higher values.

However this was not an easy system in which to do arithmetic so I cannot see
how your base 9 system could be either.

You suddenly use 0 when you illustrate tables. You do not show how to access
particular rows or columns or elements from a table but instead use vague
terms upper, lower, left, right without knowing the number of rows or columns..

Why not the concept of arrays with an index?.

Maybe you could explain what I am missing.

Donna Y
dy...@sympatico.ca