For the record... a GM 12 bolt is actually a bit weaker then the Ford 9, but not by much. Strength also is added because I believe nearly all the aftermarket axle manufactures either truss/beef up the housing or use a stronger type of metal then the stock units. When push comes to shove, the hp loss by a 9" is nothing compared to a th400 tranny. I personally like d60's.
 
Strength wise... look at the off-road truck scene (BTW I own a 87 Blazer on 36" Swampers as well). 9" bit the dust all the time, thus you see guys running the D60, D70, D80's, and Corporate 14 Bolts. Also look at hardcore drag racers with tubs and you will see most are using d80's. Most of those cars blow the caps right off a 9". But overall for a stout rear axle the 9 is a great choice. Easy to work with and more beef them most street/strip car will ever really need.
 
Mikey
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Youngblood, Skip (T&K at Alcoa)
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 7:30 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [Chevelle-List] My big 9" : )
 
I guess I'm a die-hard and would not put anything f*#d on my car. I didn't even go the f*#d solenoid when I had hot start problems. The nine inch will slow your car down. they use more hp because of pinion to ring gear geometry.
I don't mean to down your new toy. But you could of bought a 12 bolt for the same money and stayed Chevy. How often are you going to change gears at the track unless you are a pro team?
 
Skip 68SCBB
Chevy all the way
 
Sorry Herb
-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert Lumpp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 10:47 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] My big 9" : )

Now Dan, I gave a legitimate answer to Chad's question.  Some cars are better endowed than others!

cYa-
 
Herb Lumpp
1966 El Camino, LS6, 6 spd, Currie 9"
ACES 3509
http://users.adelphia.net/~hlump/
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] My big 9" : )

Oh Herb,
      Chaddy boy is gonna love the answer to this one.
I'll save it for you. This is gonna be good...

Dan McIntosh
65 Malibu

In a message dated 7/1/2002 4:56:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

whats the difference between a 9" and a 10 bolt?  thanks


Reply via email to