Well,
nobody has responded yet, so I'll take a stab at
it...
-----Original
Message-----
1)
What does an ENGINE CODE tell me, and
where is it found?
It
tells you when and usually where the block was made, as well as which engine
it is.
2)What
is a DATA plate? & Where can I find it?
Usually
found on the firewall under the hood. It contains all of the interior/exterior
trim codes. You can see an example (for an Olds)
at:
http://johnnasta.com/6898/body.html
3)What
should I look for in a restoration?
There
is no standard answer. It depends what you are looking for and how much you
can spend. Generally you want to avoid bad bodywork & crummy
paint.
4)What
are some of the ways I can determine if the MILEAGE is correct?
I
don’t think there is any good way. The speedometer may have been disconnected;
it may not be the original drivetrain,
etc.
5)What
is a COSMIC RESTORATION?
Not
sure, but I know that at the end of it, people will say "Venus and Mars are
alright tonight".
Generally
"cosmetic restoration" means that it was made to look good, but mechanical
issues have not been addressed.
6)What
is a FRAME UP RESTORATION?
Never
heard this term, but I assume it means the same thing as
#7.
7)What
is a BODY OFF RESTORATION?
That's
when the body is taken off the frame, and the frame itself is restored (as
opposed to leaving the body on the frame and just concentrating on making the
body look good w/o worrying about the frame). This is also called off-frame or
frame-off.
8)What
is a ROTISSERIE RESTORATION?
A
rotisserie is a large stand that you can attach the body to (after it’s off
the frame) so that you can spin it around, making it easier to get at certain
areas, especially the undersides.
9)What
should I look for in a body shop or a restoration shop?
This
is another question that has no real answer. It depends on what you want and
what you can afford. Generally you want to avoid bad bodywork and crummy
paint, unless that's all you can afford, or you are planning to take the car
to the figure-8 track afterwards.
10)How
can I keep my car looking good?
Keep
it clean and waxed and avoid smashing it into other
cars.
11)How
should I store my car over winter?
Personally,
I drive mine all year round and just try to keep them clean and waxed.
Ideally, if you live in a place that has harsh winters you should garage it
and not take it out until / unless the weather is good. It helps to start it
and let it run for a half hour or so about once a month. If you can't start it
once in a while, you can "pickle" the engine, which is another whole
story.