I do think this distinction is fairly arbitrary in the world of open
source projects. It is not hard to imagine a time when some of these
dependencies may have more non-Google contributors than Googlers. It
is also possible that licensing may change over time.

In addition, it makes it harder to distinguish what top level dirs we
have that aren't provided by deps.

My personal preference is that everything that isn't hosted in our
repo goes into third_party regardless of whether its license agrees
with ours at this moment.

-Ben