Thank you Nic and all the others who threw some light on the issue. I would have loved using the HWIC-1FE but I'm in Cameroon and have searched everywhere for it without success. Getting it shipped in might cost as much as buying a new router. Anyway, thank you guys for the information.
Peter -----Original Message----- From: Nic Passmore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:11 AM To: Peter Chuba; cisco_nsp Subject: Re: [c-nsp] HWIC-4ESW On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Peter Chuba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hi, > > I've got a 2801 whose built-in ports are damaged. I was wondering if I could > add an HWIC-4ESW module and use this to connect to both the provider and > LAN. And will I be able to do NAT with this setup? Will I also be able to do > PPPOE on the vlan interface? I think it should work but want to be sure > before buying the card. > > Thanks Cisco says: Q. Can I assign each switch port to a unique VLAN? If so, are there any limitations? A. Each switch port can be assigned to its own VLAN, effectively providing four additional routed ports. However, there are serious performance and feature limitations to doing this. The VLAN interfaces are truly Layer 3 switching interfaces and are treated uniquely among interface types on the router. Many features are not supported or tested on these interfaces, including Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE) termination, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol Version 3 (L2TPv3) termination, MAC address assignment, Layer 3 QoS, and others. You should carefully test any desired feature and solution prior to deploying it. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/prod_qas0900aecd80 16c026_ps5854_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html Is this something that will be used in a production environment? If thats the case, then its probably not a good idea.. -Nic _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
