Sorry for bringing up this topic again, but after reading all the
comments, I couldn't resist dropping my own, even if mostly useless,
testimony ;-)

I observed that some people misinterpreted Cabral's comments as
portraying the complete dismissal of the influence of the English guitar
on its Portuguese cousin for nationalistic reasons, which is obviously
untrue. He used an English guitar to record the second disc (aptly
labeled "A guitarra do seculo XVIII") of his LP "Memorias da Guitarra
Portuguesa", which proves he does recognize its impact and importance on
the development of the guitarra. He gives as much credit, however, to
some sort of cittern in existence in Portugal at some point in time, and
I do think that's a reasonable assumption, as it's shortsighted to
concur that the Portuguese guitarra is solely a local descendant of the
English guitar when it clearly borrows as much from the English guitar
as it does from other kind of citterns in general. I think most of you
will agree on that point.

Onto the matter if the cittern was really brought to Portugal or its his
imagination; for those that read his answer with attention, he listed
some valid period documents that refer to the its presence in Portugal
in several ways: they prove people built them there and also prove that
there were proficient players and teachers aswell. We can't jump to the
conclusion it was either popular or unpopular with the resources we've
got at this point, but can assuredly say the cittern existed and was at
least seemingly moderately known in Portugal, or parts of it, once upon
a time. Might this cittern have any relation to the current guitarra? I
wouldn't know :-)

Before I finish, let me just say I'm surprised there hasn't been any
further revival of the English guitar when compared to, for example, the
lute, as its a wonderful and unique instrument that never quite reached
what it could and unfortunately died before its time.

Best regards