ron fernandez wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I could be wrong but from the context it appears to me that Pedro
> Calderia Cabral made a simple typographical error in the first sentence,
> I believe he meant to type violão  instead of simply viola.

That's right. I got an email from him about it but you spotted it before
I got around to notifying the list.

ron fernandez wrote:
> In this discussion of nomeclature it is important to realize that the
> meaning of words changes over time and from context to context.

Very true and important words, Ron.

Cabral says he prefers to study actual instruments and iconographic
evidence. That is something I wholeheartedly agree to but we simply
can't just ignore written sources. Not only because we need every little
scrap of evidence we can find to get as complete a picture of the past
as possible but also because they can offer information the instruments
themselves can never ever provide.
But we can only learn from those written accounts if we understand the
language used.
The cittern is especially problematic here of course. How much of the
instrument's history is still undiscovered or even lost forever simply
because it keeps being confused with all kinds of other instruments?

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com