James:

  I used to think so, but a friend of mine, Leigh Cline, who lived in the Greek
speaking areas of Asia on the Black Sea (legendary Colchis) says that tar is
Persian, meaning string.  Seh-tar is three stringed.  I knew that, but the
Greek Kithara is broken up as Kith-ara, which means that it has a differnt
linguistic origin.

  On another note, there are some intersting instruments at the Royal Ontario
Museum in Toronto.  I can't find any pics on their site, but if I get there
sometime, I'll se if I can't take some myself.

  There is a cittern dated to the 1700s and stated to be either English or
Dutch.  It has 10 strings in seven courses..the top single, the next three in
pairs and three single basses. It has friction pegs.  I have a photo of it in
one of three calendars of musical instruments that they produced in the early
'90's.

  Brad

James A Stimson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear All:
Aren't all of these words derivations of the Greek "kitara?" Guitar,
guittar, gittern, quintern, cittern, cetra, citole, setula, zither, plus
the Persion zetar, the Indian sitar, and probably many others all seem to
come from one linguistic root. So it's no wonder there's some confusion
about names here.
Cheers,
Jim