On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 09:49:01AM -0700, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> Christopher X. Candreva said:
> >
> > May I add that it is really, really, really bad for clamav-milter to
> > refuse
> > to run at all, just because it can't write to it's log file ?
> >
> > I would much prefer it doing something and not logging then takeing down
> > the
> > whole mail system.
>
> Clam runs fine when properly configured. Are you asking the developers to
> compensate for sloppy administration? I think for that you need a
> Microsoft product, and it won't be free.

But the "proper" configuration is at best awkward:  clamd does not
require LogFile be defined in clamd.conf, so I normally configure
it to use syslogging to avoid a separate file and to make it
compatible with clamav-milter.

clamav-milter does not have its own config file, so it steals
information from clamd.conf, and it now requires LogFile to be
defined there, even though it uses syslogging by default.

So, it appears I'm left with having to use a logfile for clamd,
to keep clamav-milter happy, plus syslogging to get clamav-milter
logs.

Rob