Robert Stampfli said:
> On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 09:49:01AM -0700, Dennis Peterson wrote:
>> Christopher X. Candreva said:
>> >
>> > May I add that it is really, really, really bad for clamav-milter to
>> > refuse
>> > to run at all, just because it can't write to it's log file ?
>> >
>> > I would much prefer it doing something and not logging then takeing
>> down
>> > the
>> > whole mail system.
>>
>> Clam runs fine when properly configured. Are you asking the developers
>> compensate for sloppy administration? I think for that you need a
>> Microsoft product, and it won't be free.
>
> But the "proper" configuration is at best awkward:  clamd does not
> require LogFile be defined in clamd.conf, so I normally configure
> it to use syslogging to avoid a separate file and to make it
> compatible with clamav-milter.

Any time you incorporate a new product into your system you need a
validation plan. You need to know if it's working, if it is
starting/stopping as expected, is it logging as you expect, etc. When all
your requirements have a checkmark, the product is properly configured, or
your checklist is flawed. I leave it to you senior administrators to
describe the reason for flawed checklists.

BTW, I use syslog (ng-syslog, actually) and have it generate a separate
file for each daemon. This is because I have log rotation policies and
analysis requirements that are best served when certain processes log to
their own files.
dp